Monday, March 13, 2006

I admit it: I do read trashy novels sometimes. But only good trashy novels, so before I go on a trashy-novel-buying-spree, I always check in with the ladies at the “Smart Bitches, Trashy Books” site, who do fabulous trashy novel reviews. So while the clueful Kate posted a comment about it a few days ago, I have indeed been following, with glee, their successful Google-bombing of Bill Napoli, the Republican state senator and official-asshole-with-a-Messiah-complex for South Dakota.

Now, abortion is one of those issues I prefer not to argue with people about here, because it’s just so useless to even try to have a reasoned dialogue about it online. I think abortion should be legal, I vote and contribute money according to that belief, and that’s the end of the discussion for me. Obviously if you feel differently, you can act in accordance with your beliefs.

But regardless of what your views on when and how abortion should be legal – or not – Bill Napoli having the brass-balled temerity to set himself up as the arbitrator of what kind of rape victim deserves to be granted an abortion is so unbe-fucking-lievably oppressive, sexist and wrong that it makes Rick Santorum look like a Sensitive New Age Guy. Putting forth the idea that a rape victim who’s a religious virgin is entitled to have an exception made for her, while a married agnostic woman should have to have to grin and bear her rapist’s child is evidence of a deeply flawed moral compass.

I fear for the women of South Dakota, and on a larger scale, I fear for all women who don’t have the resources that I do. Come what may in this country, if I get pregnant and I don’t want to bear a child – which is pretty much a given - I can get in my car and drive to Vancouver, BC and get the medical care I need. The wives and daughters and girlfriends of rich Republicans will have those kinds of options, too, so why should they worry? But there are a lot of women who don’t have that kind of time, money and emotional support. Some of them live in South Dakota.

So, to keep a good thing going, here’s a link to the story in which Bill Napoli publicly inserted his head into his ass, and here's a link to the Smart Bitches definition page, from which I will now quote:

Bill Napoli (R-SD)

napoli (not to be confused with the proper noun, which indicates the Italian city)

Function: verb

Inflected Form(s): napolied

Pronunciation: nA'poli

1. To brutalize and rape, sodomize as bad as you can possibly make it, a young, religious virgin woman who was saving herself for marriage.

2. To hella rape somebody.

Etymology: From State Senator Bill Napoli's (R-SD) description of an acceptable rape that would merit an exemption from South Dakota's abortion ban.

Example of usage: "Did you hear? Laura's dad totally napolied her, but according to Utah law, she still has to obtain his permission before getting an abortion."

No comments: